Mr Gia Kamali from Nottinghamshire, responsible for the Mirch Massala restaurant, 4 Station Street, Mansfield Woodhouse pleaded guilty at the Nottinghamshire Crowns Court on Thursday 4 February 2016 to six charges relating to breaches of a Prohibition Notice. The charges include inadequate fire alarms, inadequate escape routes and inadequate maintenance relating to sleeping accommodation above the restaurant.
The businessman and restaurant operator admitted that these failings had placed his staff who inhabited upper floors of the premises at risk of death or serious injury in the case of a fire.
The sentencing comes after officers from the Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service visited the premises previously, following concerns that had been raised back in October 2013. At that time, the Fire and Rescue Service identified several safety issues including the only escape staircase from the upper floor unprotected from any fire in the kitchen,no adequate fire doors, no fire detectors and alarms along with the absence of of emergency lighting.
After this earlier inspection, Mr. Kamali was served a Prohibition Notice that prevented him to use of the first floor except as a store room. There had been further inspections in later months that revealed breaches of that Prohibition Notice including use of the first floor for sleeping.
His Honour Judge Spencer from the Nottinghamshire Crowns Court imposed one month, one month and two month sentences of immediate imprisonment in relation to the respective Prohibition Notice breaches, each to run consecutively; a total of £15,000 in fines in relation to inadequate fire alarms, escape routes and maintenance; together with an order for prosecution costs of nearly £14,000.
Judge Spencer remarked during the sentencing that the premises had been a “death trap”. He said that Mr Kamali had made no attempts to improve fire safety measures for the restaurant and that he had only “paid lip service” to the Prohibition Notice and the warnings given by the fire and rescue service.
The above news about Fire Safety and Prevention in the UK are brought to you by Argos Co. Ltd. At their website you can learn about the Ansul Fire Suppression system for kitchens and restaurants.